One of the hotter topics every offseason is the inevitable rule changes that occur. The NHL is one of the most active (almost to a fault) professional sports leagues when it comes to implementing changes to improve the game; whether it be in terms of player safety or increasing entertainment value.
I created this FanPost so fans could present and discuss what rule changes they would like to see. Here are mine:
1. No hand passes. Ever. Even in your own zone. Infractions will be treated just like icing: faceoff in the defensive zone, unable to change players on the ice.
2. No more waving off icing calls because the attacking player "could" have touched the puck in the neutral zone. Remenda harps on this one a lot. If the player doesn't touch it, he doesn't touch it. Call it icing.
3. NO MORE SHOOTOUTS. Overtime should be 5 minutes of 4 on 4, then 5 minutes of 3 on 3. Still tied after that, award a tie and split the standings points.
4. Visors need to be mandatory. They can grandfather players into this rule (like they did with helmets), but there are just so many unnecessary injuries that could easily be prevented. Actually, if it were up to me, I'd make the full face cages mandatory, but I know that won't fly unless this transitory step happens first.
5. No more "Intent to blow the whistle" nonsense. Players and referees need a concrete indicator of when the play is dead. Play is dead when the whistle blows, simple. If refs need to be quicker, or always just have their whistles ready, or find some other kind of technology that creates an audible "whistle" sound, then so be it.
Feel free to post up the rule changes you'd like to see for this year!