2012 NHL Free Agency Day 3 Open Thread
If you slept through the entirety of yesterday, you missed next to nothing as far as free agent signings go. It's possible we're subjected to a similar level of inactivity today but there's reason to believe some of the dominoes may start to fall.
- Zach Parise and Ryan Suter will likely make their respective decisions today, perhaps before this post even goes up if they're intent on embarrassing me. Once that happens, expect Alexander Semin and Matt Carle to be scooped up as consolation prizes. Although the Sharks are almost certainly not in on Parise, it's possible albeit unlikely they could ink Semin to a deal.
- Then again, Pierre McGuire thinks he's a lazy enigmatic coach-killer and few are more intelligent analysts of the sport than the guy who lost out on a GM job to a man who gave Brandon Prust $10 million on Sunday, so forget it.
- The Sharks have about $6.6 million in cap space with three roster spots to fill up front. Assuming T.J. Galiardi and James Sheppard sign their qualifying offers, that gives the team $5.1 million to spend on one forward. At least from a financial perspective, there's plenty of room for San Jose to get something done although, if I had to bet on it, I'd expect further additions to be via trade rather than free agency.
- Speaking of getting things done, the organization signed a slew of minor league talent yesterday that should make the Worcester Sharks much more competitive next season. In addition to re-signing Alex Stalock, John McCarthy, Matt Irwin and Danny Groulx, the Sharks reportedly added Jon Matsumoto and Bracken Kearns from outside the organization. Resident Worcester guru Jon Allred will have his take on the signings later this week.
- Dallas Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk has had himself a nice free agency period so far, signing Ray Whitney on Day 1 and turning a third-liner (albeit a good one) and turd-on-skates Steve Ott along with overpaid depth defenseman Adam Pardy into a legitimate top-six center in Derek Roy yesterday.
Feel free to discuss whatever goes on today, if anything, in this thread.