Barclay Goodrow and Daniel O’Regan scored, but the San Jose Barracuda fell 3-2 to the Stockton Heat on Saturday night. The Heat scored on a fluky tally by Ryan Lomberg with five minutes to go in the third to drop the ‘Cuda to 0-1 on the AHL campaign.
San Jose opened the scoring as O’Regan hit the back of the net with an unassisted tally in the first period, but Stockton scored twice in the second to regain the lead. Goodrow’s goal, with assists from Colin Blackwell and Joakim Ryan, tied the game at 2-2 in the third frame.
Stockton narrowly outshot the Barracuda 33-30 and went 0-2 on the power play. San Jose didn’t convert on any of its three tries on the man-advantage.
- Goodrow scored and took three shots on goal.
- Marcus Sorensen put four shots on net.
- Mirco Mueller had a shot on goal and took a minor penalty.
- Kevin Labanc took four shots.
- Tim Heed had three shots.
- Nikolay Goldobin also took three shots.
- Troy Grosenick saved 27 of 30 shots.
The Barracuda head to Ontario to take on the Reign on Oct. 22. Their home opener comes on Oct. 28 against the Bakersfield Condors.