Welcome to One Good Thing, a weekly feature where we take stock of the last week in San Jose Sharks hockey and find something that just lifts our spirits. Whether it’s a performance on-ice, or a player’s Instagram post, we’re here to talk about the reasons we love this team. Winning or losing, let’s take the time to bask in these small moments.
- This author is personally thankful for the opportunity to be part of the Fear the Fin community. Without this opportunity, I wouldn’t have had the career opportunities that I’ve had and been able to develop my skills. Thank you to Sie for giving me this chance and allowing me to grow.
- Tomas Hertl. Thank you to Hertl for being the man child that we all love to root for. His joy and energy that he brings to ice every night just makes him so easy to root for. Again, we’ve covered this here, so no need to dive into it more, but he always deserves a mention.
- Erik Karlsson. While Karlsson is going to be a hot button issue for Sharks fans for the next eight years, let’s be thankful that he is here and not in Las Vegas. Could you imagine him in that ugly sweater having to come out of that inferior entrance? No thanks. We get to watch one of the greatest defensemen of his generation for the rest of his career, and he might actually be a wizard on skates.
$11.5 million dollar read from Karlsson pic.twitter.com/u4al3YAtk1— Sheng Peng (@Sheng_Peng) November 26, 2019
4. Joe Thornton. While Thornton has not gotten off to a fast start this season, he is arguably the greatest player to ever put on a teal sweater. He has provided many of the greatest moments in Sharks history, including the chance at the rooster trick, his series-winning goal and slide against the LA Kings, telling the power play to go “score three fucking goals right now” during Game 7, and of course his 400th goal. While Joe may not be the same player, let’s be thankful for all the years that we’ve had our not quite top 100 player.
5. The Sharks community. While we may not always agree on things, but we do know who we are. We are the lovable bunch of fans who have had their hearts broken way too many times in the spring. We have the best jerseys in the NHL and it’s not even close. We all agree that Dustin Brown can go fuck himself. We have a love for Wookies, Captain America and Nemo. While we haven’t captured the ultimate goal yet, it could be worse. We could be stuck with Mark Messier on our team.
Let us know what you are thankful for in the comments!