Though the bye week is slowly and surely coming to an end, the Sharks’ misery certainly isn’t. As I pulled together today’s news and notes, I was overwhelmed by how many different ways different reporters and bloggers found to talk about exactly how bad the Sharks are this year.
In case you forgot in the last few Sharks-hockey-free days, they’re real bad. Gonna miss playoffs bad, in fact.
I hate stewing in bad news, though.
So here’s a quick topic for today: the Sharks will be introducing individual goal songs for the rest of the season following the All-Star break this weekend. If you missed the announcement, there’s a link to it below — watch it just for Tomas Hertl being adorable, if nothing else, but it’s pretty straight forward.
What do you think the players’ goal songs will be? Allegedly, Kevin Labanc has the best one planned, but hopefully we’ll be hearing all of them soon.
Follow-up question: if you were on the Sharks, what would your goal song be? Much like when I go to karaoke, I debated between several ABBA (and maybe a few Fleetwood Mac) songs before deciding on this one:
News & Notes
- Sharks Players Will Get Individual Goal Songs After 2020 All-Star Break [NESN]
- San Jose Sharks at the break: How did it get this bad? [The Mercury News]
- San Jose Sharks at the break: Letter grades for players, coaches and management [The Mercury News]
- Sharks player poll: Who is the most superstitious, has the worst taste in music, best dressed and more? [The Athletic]
- Main reasons for Sharks’ struggles in atypically disappointing season [NBC Sports]
- Huge expansion planned for Sharks Ice skating complex in San Jose [The Mercury News]
- After 50 games, San Jose Sharks nowhere close to where they were a year ago [The Mercury News]
Blood in the Water
- NHL mascot Gritty investigated for allegedly punching 13-year-old fan [NBC News]
- State of Hockey rallies after death of 9-year-old boy [Bring Me The News]
- The NHL’s Analytics Awards at midseason [ESPN]
- The 2020 NHL Poll: Players have their say on the best player, worst referee, drinking buddies and more [The Athletic]
- KHL player poll: All-Stars on the next city to get a team, misconceptions about the league and more [ESPN]
- Would the NHL standings change with a different points system? [ESPN]
- NHL teams realize backup goaltender is important position [The Denver Post]
- Penguins still in pursuit of Wild forward Jason Zucker, per report [Hockey Wilderness]
- Maple Leafs’ Auston Matthews Ruled Out of 2020 NHL All-Star Game with Wrist Injury [Bleacher Report]
- As WNBA Boosts Pay, Women’s Hockey Players See Path Forward [The New York Times]
- Women Inspiring Young Women to Play Hockey & Embrace a New Sport [9&10 News]
Recaps & Scores
Click each team name to find the game recap from that team’s SB Nation site!