If the Tomas Hertl season-ending knee injury was the nail in the casket, then Joel Kellman’s injury in the Sharks’ loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday is the bill for the funeral. Dear god, it’s still only February.
But that does mean that at the end of the month, this team could look drastically different, if Doug Wilson decides to burn it all down. Undoubtably, the Sharks will be sellers. Our colleagues at Mile High Hockey are already salivating over yet another Sharks fourth-liner and I can’t say I’d be sad to see it play out, but as the saying goes: you gotta spend money to make money.
Simply put, selling off the fourth line just won’t get enough of a return. Compromises will have to be made.
We talked about how the Sharks should ideally move forward knowing the season is lost, and selling at this deadline will be crucial to nearly every plan put forth.
But who is untouchable? Should anyone on this roster be truly untouchable? Which player would hurt the most if traded?
Let’s talk about it in the comments.
News & Notes
- Sharks suffer another injury in loss to Tampa Bay Lightning [The Mercury News]
- Sharks GM Doug Wilson talks expectations, EK65, Martin Jones and trade deadline [The Mercury News]
- When it comes to gift-giving for milestones, Sharks have ‘done some stuff here differently’ [The Athletic]
- How Tomas Hertl’s season-ending injury has changed Sharks’ mindset, approach [NBC Sports]
- Sharks gift Marc-Edouard Vlasic hydrofoil for reaching 1,000 NHL games [NBC Sports]
- The Avalanche should go after Melker Karlsson at the trade deadline [Mile High Hockey]
Blood in the Water
- NHL’s best and worst this week: 10 spicy storylines to watch for the rest of the season [ESPN]
- Sidney Crosby on his relationship with Alex Ovechkin: ‘We’re not best buddies’ [Russian Machine Never Breaks]
- Three Big Questions: What is the best rivalry in the NHL today? [Sportsnet]
- Growing up with an NHL dad [Boston Globe]
- Here’s why the NHL All-Star Game would be better at the start of season [Boston Globe]
- NHL’s Black Hockey History mobile museum visits Miller Elementary in Hill District [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette]
- What we know about the NHL’s reported, ongoing investigation of the Coyotes [The Athletic]
- Plenty of trial and error when it comes to finding the perfect hockey stick at Michigan [MLive]
Scores & Recaps
- Pittsburgh Penguins 4, Washington Capitals 3
- Columbus Blue Jackets 4, Montreal Canadiens 3
- Vancouver Canucks 3, Carolina Hurricanes 4 (SO)
Click each team’s name to find a recap on their own SB Nation team site!