It’s been a wild week for hockey.
For one, the NHL continues to insist on structuring their broadcast schedule in the most inconvenient ways possible, airing a single game on one day, and then, like, half the league on the other. Guess which kind of day yesterday was.
For another, the countdown clock to Nov. 30 has started for San Jose Sharks to make a decision about Evander Kane, who, upon completion of the NHL’s internal investigation into him breaking COVID Protocol, has been suspended 21 games. The first eligible game for Kane (barring any trades or other contract moves) will be Nov. 30.
But the Sharks were determined to prove that they’re better off with Kane out of the lineup. Sharks rookie Jonathan Dahlen scored his first two (!!!!!) NHL goals against the beleaguered Montreal Canadiens in last night’s game. Not to be outdone, Adin Hill earned his first shutout of the season, and the Sharks won their first road game of the season, 5-0.
It’s a good sign for the Sharks that the lines they’ve been constructing in Kane’s absence are ostensibly better without him, on and off the ice. But let’s be honest, the bar is so low for the NHL when it comes to problematic players that it is buried in the ground, and no team’s management is exempt from making morally questionable business decisions.
Until we have a better idea of what the Sharks are planning for Kane’s contract (and once Sharks management goes over every option they have), it’s a story that will underline every game from now until then. If the Sharks keep winning with their lineup as is, you have to assume that Bob and the rest of management won’t change things up. Right?
One can hope.
But, if you’re looking for something to brighten your day (or to focus your frustrations towards the NHL elsewhere), the first episode of This Is Hockey Culture dropped yesterday, all about Jack Eichel, the NHLPA, and athlete’s bodily autonomy. You can find the podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and anywhere else you enjoy your podcasts.
News and Notes
- Insider Trading: Sharks unable to terminate Kane’s contract [TSN]
- What’s Next for Evander Kane? [The Athletic]
- Kurz: In the Sharks’ dressing room, Evander Kane is already an afterthought [The Athletic]
- Ferraro is Sharks’ new Alternate Captain [San Jose Hockey Now]
- Kovalchuk named GM, Gonchar, Fedorov and Nabokov part of ROC Olympic staff [TSN]
Blood in the Water
- A decade after his own loss, Boogaard feels sorrow and anger over Jimmy Hayers’ death [TSN]
- Nick Robertson is out for at least ten weeks [Pension Plan Puppets]
- Mark Stone’s injury still a mystery; Trio returns to practice [Vegas Hockey Now]
- Why the Predators scratched Philip Tomasino after one game and sent Cody Glass to the AHL [The Athletic]
- Pavel Buchnevich suspended for head-butt to Lawson Crouse [St Louis Game Time]
- Milestone Night for Okposo, Buffalo Earns Another Win [Die by the Blade]
- Tampa Bay Lightning’s Nikita Kucherov’s injury ‘not a day-to-day thing’, coach Jon Cooper says [ESPN]
Scores and Recaps
- Vancouver Canucks 2, Buffalo Sabres 5
- San Jose Sharks 5, Montreal Canadiens 0
- Florida Panthers 4, Tampa Bay Lightning 1
- Dallas Stars 2, Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- Colorado Avalanche 3, Washington Capitals 6
- Seattle Kraken 2, New Jersey Devils 4
- Columbus Blue Jackets 1, Detroit Red Wings 4
- New York Islanders 4, Chicago Blackhawks 1
- Los Angeles Kings 1, Nashville Predators 2
- Winnipeg Jets 5, Minnesota Wild 6
- Anaheim Ducks 5, Edmonton Oilers 6
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!