The Chicago Blackhawks have been facing lawsuits regarding allegations of sexual abuse and harassment during the organization’s 2010 Stanley Cup run, a potential letter of recommendation that led to the sexual assault of a minor, and more. Reporters Rick Westhead (TSN) and Katie Strang (The Athletic) have done an incredible job covering these investigations, a timeline of which you can find here.
Kyle Beach, previously known as John Doe, courageously revealed his identity last night on Sportsnet, accompanied by Rick Westhead to share his story publicly
We’re at a turning point in the NHL and hockey culture, and we can’t thank Kyle Beach, the other 139 witnesses who took part in the Block&Jenner independent investigation into the Blackhawks and the too few reporters who have tirelessly covered it for months, for everything they’ve done to put this issue into the public eye and demand accountability from everyone who failed to protect Beach and all of Brad Aldrich’s victims.
You can watch the segment and read a full transcript here.
And, for survivors; we believe you. We stand with you, we see you, and we’re with you.
A morning reminder that 1 in 6 men experience sexual abuse or assault.— Katie Strang (@KatieJStrang) October 27, 2021
The @1in6org group is a fantastic resource for anyone who needs help and support.
News & Notes
- The San Jose Sharks Are Defying All Expectations [The Hockey News]
- Sharks News & Rumors: Kane, Hertl, Gambrell & More [The Hockey Writers]
- San Jose Sharks Approaching Decision On William Eklund [Pro Hockey Rumors]
- Sharks have a blueprint for success without Evander Kane [The Mercury News]
- 3 Sharks Questions That Could Make or Break Season [SJ Hockey Now]
Blood in the Water
- SOURCE: Kyle Beach: John Doe [TSN]
- Time to Panic? Top NHL Teams Off to Rough Starts [The Hockey News]
- Subban fined $5,000 for actions in Devils game [NHL PR]
- Shapiro: It’s early, but NHL attendance woes are cause for concern [The Athletic]
- NHL Rumors: Eichel, Golden Knights, Avalanche and the Blackhawks [NHL Rumors]
- How a devastating NHL crash is leading to safer hockey rinks [Fast Company]
- Canucks’ Travis Hamonic returns from absence, will join AHL Abbotsford [The Athletic]
- Newfoundland Growlers Games Suspended Amid Workplace Conduct Investigation [Sports Illustrated]
Scores & Recaps
- Boston Bruins 1, Florida Panthers 4
- Detroit Red Wings 3, Washington Capitals 2 (OT)
- Toronto Maple Leafs 3, Chicago Blackhawks 2 (OT)
- Vegas Golden Knights 3, Dallas Stars 2 (OT)
- Philadelphia Flyers 5, Edmonton Oilers 3
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Arizona Coyotes at Tampa Bay Lightning, 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET, on BSSUN, BSAZ, EPSN+
- Calgary Flames at Pittsburgh Penguins, 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET, on TVAS, ATTSN-PT, SNW, ESPN+
- Boston Bruins at Carolina Hurricanes, 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET, on SN360, SNE, SNO, SNP, BSSO, NESN, ESPN+
- Colorado Avalanche at St. Louis Blues, 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET, on BSMW, ALT, ESPN+
- PPhiladelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks, 7 p.m. PT/10 p.m. ET, on SN, NBCSP+, ESPN+
- Buffalo Sabres at Anaheim Ducks, 7 p.m. PT/10 p.m. ET, BSSC, BSSD, MSG-B, ESPN+
- Minnesota Wild at Seattle Kraken, 7 p.m. PT/10 p.m. ET, ROOT-NW, BSN, BSWI, ESPN+
- Winnipeg Jets at Los Angeles Kings 7:30 p.m. PT/10:30 p.m. ET, BSW, RSN3, ESPN+
- Montreal Canadiens at San Jose Sharks, 7:30 p.m. PT/10:30 p.m. ET, NBCSCA, TSN2, RDS, ESPN+