The San Jose Barracuda have a big announcement coming today at 2 p.m. We’re not sure what it is yet, but we can only imagine that it has something to do with ... this masterpiece. Is that Joachim Blichfield as Poseidon? Various Barracuda players wearing Party City fish-themed hats delivering lines with a painful (or perfect) awkwardness? Yes, and yes.
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT FOR SJ BARRACUDA COMING TOMORROW AT 2PM! #RaceToTheReef #CudaCountdown #AHomeOfOurOwn #CudaCountry pic.twitter.com/Ob6L6i8F4O— San Jose Barracuda (@sjbarracuda) November 17, 2021
Aside from the Barracuda flexing their acting skills, the Barracuda have had a few updates to their roster. Goaltender Zachary Emond and defenseman Cole Moberg have been reassigned back to the ECHL’s Orlando Solar Bears. Moberg and Emond were brought up to fill in for the Sharks’ and Barracuda’s joint COVID absences, but now that everyone is mostly healthy, the Barracuda are getting back to business as usual. Patrick McNally was also released from his PTO agreement.
After Joel Kellman was checked into the boards on an illegal hit to the head and had to be stretchered off the ice, the Barracuda are rightfully on a tear, winning that game 3-2 against the Abbotsford Canucks. Kellman is okay, although he’ll be absent from the line up for at least a month.
On the big announcement for tomorrow, I’m not one for predicting the future (I’m no Greek god) but given context clues, it may be about the Barracuda’s new arena.
News & Notes
- Sharks’ Nick Bonino can’t find answers for pointless stretch: ‘You put a lot of pressure on yourself’ [The Athletic]
- San Jose Barracuda forward injured by illegal check to the head [The Mercury News]
- San Jose Sharks’ feel-good start could soon become a distant memory [The Mercury News]
Blood in the Water
- Compher out one month for Avalanche with upper-body injury [NHL]
- Blais out rest of regular season for Rangers with knee injury [NHL]
- Phaneuf retires from NHL, played 14 seasons with four teams [NHL]
- Why the IIHF is hopeful to introduce 3-on-3 Olympic hockey [SportsNet]
- NHL pauses Ottawa Senators’ season due to Covid-19 outbreak [Yahoo Sports]
- Maple Leafs re-acquire tough guy Kyle Clifford in trade with Blues [CNN Sports]
- Fenway Sports Group in advanced talks to purchase Pittsburgh Penguins, source says [ESPN]
Scores & Recaps
- Buffalo Sabres 2, Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- Montreal Canadiens 2, New York Rangers 3
- New York Islanders 1, Florida Panthers 6
- Nashville Predators 0, Toronto Maple Leafs 3
- Washington Capitals 2, Anaheim Ducks 3 (OT)
- Carolina Hurricanes 4, Vegas Golden Knights 2
- Detroit Red Wings 2, Dallas Stars 5
- Edmonton Oilers 2, Winnipeg Jets 5
- San Jose Sharks 4, Minnesota Wild 1
- Arizona Coyotes 3, St. Louis Blues 2
- Calgary Flames 1, Philadelphia Flyers 2 (OT)
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks at 6 p.m. PT/9 p.m. ET on SN, ALT, ESPN+
- Chicago Blackhawks at Seattle Kraken at 7 p.m. PT/10 p.m. ET on TVAS, ESPN+
- Washington Capitals at Los Angeles Kings at 7:30 p.m. PT/10:30 p.m. ET on BSW, NBCSWA, ESPN+