The San Jose Sharks have announced that the organization will host the 2022 Rookie Faceoff, which will take place from Sept. 16 through Sept. 19.
The event will be held in what will become the new home of the AHL’s San Jose Barracuda, Sharks Ice at San Jose, which will be able to host up to 4,200 people following the planned 400,000 square foot expansion to the facilities. The new arena will open in August 2022.
The Rookie Faceoff is an event that annually plays host to four teams in the Pacific Division, those being the Sharks, Anaheim Ducks, Los Angeles Kings and Vegas Golden Knights, and two in the Central Division, the Arizona Coyotes and Colorado Avalanche, featuring scrimmages between the six clubs’ top prospects.
The tournament is usually for teams to get a better look at those prospects and see how they perform ahead of the NHL’s preseason. Players who make an impact at the Rookie Tournament may find a bigger opportunity come training camp.
Tickets to the 2022 Rookie Faceoff will be available for free for all Barracuda season ticket holders, as part of the new season ticket holder program called “The Battery,” announced yesterday. Individual tickets will become available for purchase at a later date.
News & Notes
- Sharks to Host 2022 Rookie Faceoff at Future Home of the Barracuda [NHL.com]
- Boughner praises Meier for playing his “best hockey” for Sharks [NBC Sports Bay Area]
- Sharks’ James Reimer: Starting in St. Louis [CBS Sports]
- Does Sharks’ Marc-Edouard Vlasic have what it takes to stay in the lineup all season? [The Athletic]
Blood in the Water
- Ryan Pulock will miss 4-6 weeks with a lower-body injury [The Daily Faceoff]
- Barkov week-to-week for Panthers with knee injury [NHL.com]
- Kings’ home to be renamed Crypto.com Arena [NHL.com]
- Habs’ Gallagher fined $2,500 for sucker-punch [Scouting the Refs]
- Flames’ Mikael Backlund fined $5K for cross-checking Flyers’ Konecny [Sportsnet]
- Patrick Brown suffers dislocated thumb, considered week-to-week [Broad Street Buzz]
- Golden Knights claim Brooks off waivers from Habs [TSN)]
- Chicago Blackhawks hire Rob Cookson [Pro Hockey Rumors]
- Utica Comets tie wins record to start a season [Pucks and Pitchforks]
- The Los Angeles Kings are debuting their new alternate jerseys and chrome helmets against the Capitals [RMNB]
- Canucks’ fan causes stir with custom “Thank you Jim” jersey [Vancouver is Awesome]
Scores & Recaps
- Colorado Avalanche 4, Vancouver Canucks 2
- Chicago Blackhawks 4, Seattle Kraken 2
- Washington Capitals 2, Los Angeles Kings 0
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Tampa Bay Lightning at Philadelphia Flyers at 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on SN, SNE, SNO, SNP, NBCS-PH, BSSUN, ESPN+
- Pittsburgh Penguins at Montreal Canadiens at 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on TSN2, RDS, SNPT, ESPN+
- New Jersey Devils at Florida Panthers at 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on BSFL, MSG+, ESPN+
- Toronto Maple Leafs at New York Rangers at 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on TSN4, MSG, ESPN+
- Calgary Flames at Buffalo Sabres at 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on SN360, MSG-B, ESPN+
- San Jose Sharks at St. Louis Blues at 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET on BSMW, NBCS-CA, ESPN+
- Dallas Stars at Minnesota Wild at 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET on BSN, BSWI+, BSSW, ESPN+
- Columbus Blue Jackets at Arizona Coyotes at 6 p.m. PT/9 p.m. ET on BSAZ, BSOH, ESPN+
- Winnipeg Jets at Edmonton Oilers at 6 p.m. PT/9 p.m. ET on TSN3, SNW, ESPN+
- Carolina Hurricanes at Anaheim Ducks at 7 p.m. PT/10 p.m. ET on BSW, BSSO, ESPN+
- Detroit Red Wings at Vegas Golden Knights at 7 p.m. PT/10 p.m. ET on SN, SNE, SNO, SNP, SNRM, BSDET, ESPN+