Ahead of last night’s game against the St. Louis Blues, the great Sheng Peng of San Jose Hockey Now and NBC Sports Bay Area joined the Sharks’ pre-game show for his television debut and offered some pretty insight regarding Evander Kane.
When asked if it’s safe to say that Kane will not be with the team when his suspension concludes on Nov. 30, Peng said he has “no sense” that Kane has been skating or practicing at all in San Jose, and says that he hasn’t asked head coach Bob Boughner about Kane since the last homestand three weeks ago.
Peng also noted a previous quote from Boughner that he did not know where Kane was back when he was last asked, which is strange, given that he’s a prominent player in the organization.
Peng said that he is sticking by his guess that Kane has played his last game with the San Jose Sharks, but we’ll find out in the coming days.
In my opinion, this shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, as there have been countless quotes from players and staff regarding how the Sharks react differently this season when things are going poorly and keep working together as a team, and many players say that this season has been more fun that previous seasons. You’ve got to think that Kane’s absence isn’t wholly unrelated.
Kane, 30, posted 49 points through 56 games played last season and is currently serving a 21-game suspension for violating the NHL and NHLPA’s COVID Protocol.
Editor’s Note: Wanted to sneak in here to offer my biggest of congratulations to Fear The Fin alum Sheng Peng on his television debut with NBCSCA last night! Sharks Territory loves Sheng and we couldn’t be prouder. Congrats, and can’t wait to see you shine even further! — Sie
News & Notes
- Four NHL GMs on the hot seat [The Hockey News]
- California Dreaming: Can the Ducks, Sharks and Kings keep this up? [The Athletic]
- Sharks feeling blue after trip ends with loss [Lets go Sharks]
Blood in the Water
- Vancouver Canucks place Justin Bailey on waivers [Pro Hockey Rumors]
- Brouwer retires from NHL after 14 seasons [NHL.com]
- Coyotes lose Timmins, Kirk, to season-ending injuries [Five For Howling]
- Montreal Canadiens recall top prospect Cole Caufield from AHL [Sportsnet]
- Ellis set for more rehab, to miss at least a month [NBC Sports Philadelphia]
- Canucks GM Benning on team’s awful start: “I feel responsible” [Sportsnet]
- Connor McDavid did this...
CONNOR. MCDAVID.— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) November 19, 2021
HE DID IT AGAIN. pic.twitter.com/9GC4d48XZx
Scores & Recaps
- Tampa Bay Lightning 4, Philadelphia Flyers 3 (SO)
- Pittsburgh Penguins 6, Montreal Canadiens 0
- New Jersey Devils 1, Florida Panthers 4
- New York Rangers 1, Toronto Maple Leafs 2
- Calgary Flames 5, Buffalo Sabres 0
- San Jose Sharks 1, St. Louis Blues 4
- Dallas Stars 2, Minnesota Wild 7
- Columbus Blue Jackets 5, Arizona Coyotes 4 (SO)
- Winnipeg Jets 1, Edmonton Oilers 2 (SO)
- Carolina Hurricanes 2, Anaheim Ducks 1
- Detroit Red Wings 2, Vegas Golden Knights 5
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!