San Jose Sharks legend and current Florida Panthers forward Joe Thornton moved up in the NHL’s all-time scoring list last night, moving into 13th place and trailing Mark Recchi by just one point for 12th place.
Thornton’s point came as a secondary assist on a goal by Patric Hornqvist during what would eventually become a 4-1 loss for the Panthers. He has tallied 1 goal and 3 points through 11 games this season, over a campaign where he has struggled with injuries early on.
Through his 1,691 game career, Thornton has totaled 426 goals and 1,532 points, becoming one of the league’s most premier playmakers over the course of his playing time.
It’ll be interesting to see how far Thornton can make it. As mentioned, he trails 12th place by just one point but trails Ray Bourque’s 11th place spot by 47 points. If this is the final season of his career, it’ll be almost impossible for Thornton to get there.
Nonetheless, it has been such a terrific career for Jumbo Joe. He’s a legend in San Jose and the Bay Area, and most definitely in the NHL history books as well.
News & Notes
- An Eastern Conference team may have interest in Evander Kane [Kukla’s Korner]
- San Jose Sharks after 20 games: surprises — and issues — near the one-quarter mark [East Bay Times]
- Three takeaways from the Maple Leafs’ 4-1 win over the Sharks [NHL Trade Talk]
- Sharks’ Timo Meier finally meeting star-level expectations [The Hockey Writers]
Blood in the Water
- Scott Mellanby resigns as assistant GM of Canadiens [Montreal Gazette]
- Panarin fined $5,000 for throwing glove at Marchand [TSN]
- Islanders’ next two games postponed amid COVID-19 crisis, NHL announces [CBS Sports]
- Sens claim Gaudette, place Murray on waivers [NHL.com]
- Canadiens receive permission to talk to former Rangers GM Gorton [Sportsnet]
- Senators’ Tkachuk calls Kings’ Lemieux “gutless” after bite in scrum [Sportsnet]
- Sabres, Coyotes could make claim for Senators goalie Matt Murray [Sportsnet]
- Oilers’ Kris Russell breaks record for most blocked shots [Sportsnet]
- Russian junior hockey player passes away [The Hockey News]
Scores & Recaps
- Seattle Kraken 4, Florida Panthers 1
- Edmonton Oilers 3, Vegas Golden Knights 2
- Montreal Canadiens 6, Pittsburgh Penguins 3
- Ottawa Senators 2, Los Angeles Kings 4
- Buffalo Sabres 2, Detroit Red Wings 3 (OT)
- Columbus Blue Jackets 3, St. Louis Blues 6
- Dallas Stars 3, Arizona Coyotes 2
- Nashville Predators 2, Colorado Avalanche 6
- Winnipeg Jets 4, Calgary Flames 2
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Washington Capitals at Carolina Hurricanes, 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET on SN, BSSO, NBCSDC, ESPN+
- Tampa Bay Lightning at Minnesota Wild, 11 a.m. PT/2 p.m. ET on BSN, BSWI, BSSUN, ESPN+
- Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils, 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on MSG+, NBCSPHI, ESPN+
- San Jose Sharks at Chicago Blackhawks, 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on NBCSCH, NBCSCA, ESPN+
- Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins, 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on SN, SNE, SNW, SNP, NESN, ESPN+
- Toronto Maple Leafs at Anaheim Ducks, 5 p.m. PT./8 p.m. ET on TSN4, BSSC, BSSD, ESPN+