We’ve still got plenty of reading material for you below in today’s Deep Blue Sea, but with such a tight turn around on this year’s Top 25 Sharks Under 25 series, we’re going to take this space as a reminder to vote.
Voting this year will be done through Survey Monkey.
Here are some basic guidelines as you vote:
- The survey will technically let you rank all 48 players, but nothing after 25 will be counted OR contribute to a player’s overall rank.
- Users are asked to submit only one ballot. We reserve the right to remove ballots that are incomplete, spam or otherwise determined to be a joke.
- Remember: No. 1 is the best player ranking. We will reveal the series in reverse order, starting with No. 25.
- Ballots are due by noon PT on Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2022.
- Once again, that link to vote is here.
For more information about the process, as well as links to biographies for all eligible prospects, click the link below:
Now onto the new and notes.
News & Notes
- Sharks defenseman hurt in first period vs. Florida Panthers [The Mercury News]
- Mario Ferraro’s scary injury evokes memories of Logan Couture’s own painful ordeal [The Mercury News]
- Sharks lose fast-paced game to Panthers in OT, lose defenseman to injury [The Mercury News]
- Joe Thornton Q & A: On the Sharks, his role in Florida, Evander Kane and scoring four goals [The Mercury News]
- Thornton felt no nerves playing against Sharks (VIDEO) [NBC Sports Bay Area]
- 2 Reasons Why Sharks Got 1 Point, 1 Reason Why They Didn’t Get 2 [San Jose Hockey Now]
- Breaking down the NHL’s best and worst first lines this season [The Athletic]
Blood in the Water
- NHL Rumors: Boston Bruins, Anaheim Ducks, and the Ottawa Senators [NHL Rumors]
- Zdeno Chara won’t participate in hardest shot at All-Star skills competition [Sportsnet]
- Former Canucks forward Jake Virtanen charged with sexual assault [Yahoo! Sports]
- Inside the NHL: Canucks’ choice of Castonguay resonates to her days at Niagara [The Buffalo News]
- 8 NHL Prospects to Watch at the 2022 Winter Olympics [Bleacher Report]
- Why EA Sports NHL decided to add women’s players to NHL 22: ‘Seeing it to be it’ [The Athletic]
- Law firm investigates Michigan hockey over allegations of COVID deception, toxic environment [MLive]
- Burnside: Ethan Bear’s Story [NHL.com]
- Almost 30 Years After Breaking the Ice, Manon Rhéaume Looks at What’s Next for Women’s Hockey [Sports Illustrated]
Scores & Recaps
- Anaheim Ducks 2, Ottawa Senators 1
- Los Angeles Kings 3, Philadelphia Flyers 4 (OT)
- Winnipeg Jets 4, St. Louis Blues 1
- San Jose Sharks 4, Florida Panthers 5 (OT)
- Edmonton Oilers 7, Montreal Canadiens 2
- Toronto Maple Leafs 7, Detroit Red Wings 4
- Vegas Golden Knights 3, Tampa Bay Lightning 2 (SO)
- New Jersey Devils 1, Carolina Hurricanes 2
- Buffalo Sabres 3, Arizona Coyotes 1
- Vancouver Canucks 0, Calgary Flames 1 (OT)
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Seattle Kraken at New York Rangers, 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET on NHLN, TVAS, MSG, ROOT-NW
- Los Angeles Kings at Pittsburgh Penguins, 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET on SN1, ATTSN-PT, BSW, ESPN+
- San Jose Sharks at Carolina Hurricanes, 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET on BSSO, NBCSCA, ESPN+
- Columbus Blue Jackets at Montreal Canadiens, 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on SN1, BSSW+, NESN, ESPN+
- Boston Bruins at Dallas Stars, 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on TSN2, RDS, BSOH, ESPN+
- Minnesota Wild at New York Islanders, 4:30 p.m. PT/7:30 p.m. ET on MSG+, BSN+, BSWI+, ESPN+
- Buffalo Sabres at Colorado Avalanche, 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET on ALT2, MSG-B, ESPN+