2023 NHL playoffs start today: Open thread
A reason to root for, or against, each of the teams in the 2023 NHL playoffs.
Okay hockey fans, the NHL playoffs start today and if you don't have a backup team in the race, then you're going to need a reason why to root for each team.
Monday, April 17, 2023
- New York Islanders at Carolina Hurricanes (Game 1, 4 p.m. PT) - The Hurricanes have Brent Burns. The Islanders have goaltender Ilya Sorokin, and if he's on his game, he could steal a game or two.
- Florida Panthers at Boston Bruins (Game 1, 4:30 p.m. PT) - Pick your pest. The Panthers have Matthew Tkachuk while the Bruins have Brad Marchand. Who do you like more/hate least?
- Minnesota Wild at Dallas Stars (Game 1, 6:30 p.m. PT) - This one's a pick your favorite veteran (though I think I know which way everyone is going to go). The Wild have Marc-Andre Fleury while the Stars have Joe Pavelski.
- Los Angeles Kings at Edmonton Oilers (Game 1, 7 p.m.) - Can the Kings' duo of Anze Kopitar and Phillip Danault stop the Oilers'/league's top scorers Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl?
Tuesday, April 18, 2023
- New York Rangers at New Jersey Devils (Game 1, 4 p.m. PT) - If you're a Sharks' fan, you're picking the Devils. Full stop. If the Devils make the Eastern Conference Finals this year, that second round pick the team received in the Timo Meier deal becomes a first round pick.
- Tampa Bay Lightning at Toronto Maple Leafs (Game 1, 4:30 p.m. PT) - Who do you hate more, Toronto's Michael Bunting or Tampa Bay's Corey Perry?
- Winnipeg Jets at Vegas Golden Knights (Game 1, 6:30 p.m. PT) - F*** Vegas. There are no other choices here.
- Seattle Kraken at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1, 7 p.m. PT) - Seattle has former Sharks Martin Jones, Ryan Donato and Jaycob Megna. Meanwhile, Colorado has Andrew Cogliano and Matt Nieto. Who's your favorite?