Deep Blue Sea: 99 Problems and the Sharks have all of them
Season is over, folks, pack it in.
With the news that Tomas Hertl will miss the rest of the season with a torn MCL and ACL in his left knee, it appears the Sharks’ season is cooked.
I suppose it’s nice to actually know that, instead of hoping that by some insane sports luck, they could waddle their way into a first-round elimination, just enough to save something from this stinker of a season, but it’s not to be. The Sharks no longer have a top line center anywhere in their line up and it’s time to accept it and move forward.
So today’s Deep Blue Sea is for you: What is your wishlist for addressing the Sharks’ issues? Can they retool on the fly? What are the pieces worth keeping?
The season is lost. Let’s talk about making sure it doesn’t happen again.
News & Notes
- Sharks lose Hertl for season, get push to be trade deadline sellers [NBC Sports]
- Sharks’ Tomas Hertl out for season with knee injury [ESPN]
- Sharks Ice mega expansion approved by San Jose, adding rinks, amenities [The Mercury News]
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in deflating 5-2 loss to Canucks [NBC Sports]
- How Sharks’ third-period struggles have sunk team’s NHL playoffs hopes [NBC Sports]
- Sharks, Barclay Goodrow feel duty to spread ‘Bell Let’s Talk’ message [NBC Sports]
- How Sharks’ Joe Thornton taught Rick Nash to be a pro in Switzerland [NBC Sports]
- NHL rumors: Sharks’ Brenden Dillon of interest to Bruins, ‘half dozen’ teams [NBC Sports]/
Blood in the Water
- Report: Arizona Coyotes accused of illegal pre-draft testing [Yahoo! Sports]
- Report: Seattle Kraken believed to be name for NHL Seattle franchise [Russian Machine Never Breaks]
- Seattle NHL franchise responds to rumors about selecting ‘Kraken’ as team name [CBS Sports]
- Enough is Enough: Breaking Down the Issues in Women’s Professional Hockey [Bruins Diehards]
- What the NHL can learn from the KHL’s support of women’s hockey [ESPN]
- Inside the NHL’s nastiest feud: Matthew Tkachuk vs. Zack Kassian [ESPN]
- NHL trade deadline preview: Possible moves, latest rumors, what to watch for all 31 teams [ESPN]
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Ulf Samuelsson still hopes to coach in NHL [Trib LIVE]
- Five bubble teams who could benefit before NHL Trade Deadline [NHL.com]
- Why Martin Brodeur’s Wins Record Is One of the NHL’s Unbreakable Marks [Sports Illustrated]/
Recaps & Scores
- Montreal Canadiens 3, Buffalo Sabres 1
- Nashville Predators 6, New Jersey Devils 5 (SO)
- Los Angeles Kings 3, Arizona Coyotes 2 (OT)/
Click each team’s name to find a recap on their own SB Nation team site!
On the Schedule
- Detroit Red Wings at New York Rangers, 4 PT/7 ET on ESPN+, MSG, FS-D+
- Philadelphia Flyers at Pittsburgh Penguins, 4 PT/7 ET on ESPN+, SN, ATTSN-PT, NBCSP
- Washington Capitals at Ottawa Senators, 4:30 PT/7:30 ET on TSN5, RDS, NBCSWA
- Vegas Golden Knights at Carolina Hurricanes, 4:30 PT/7:30 ET on FS-CR, ATTSN-RM
- Boston Bruins at Winnipeg Jets, 5 PT/8 ET on TVAS, TSN3, NESN
- St. Louis Blues at Edmonton Oilers, 6 PT/9 ET on SNW, FS-MW
- Tampa Bay Lightning at Anaheim Ducks, 7 PT/10 ET on SN, PRIME, SUN/