Monday Chum Bucket: Thornton, Davos lose Spengler Cup 7-2 to Canada
- Jason Demers and Team Canada defeated Joe Thornton and host team HC Davos 7-2 in the Spengler Cup final, denying the Sharks' captain a second Spengler title. [CBC]
- Sean Kuraly had an assist in Team USA's 9-3 trouncing of Slovakia at the World Juniors, earning them a place in the medal round. They'll face Tomas Hertl and Team Czech Republic in the quarterfinals Wednesday. [USA Hockey]
- Former Shark Torrey Mitchell could sign with the San Francisco Bulls as early as today. [Twitter]
- Joe Pavelski talked to David Pollak about returning from the KHL and the NHL's latest CBA proposal. [Working the Corners]
- The league and players' association will meet today in New York after several "informational sessions" via conference call over the weekend. [TSN]
- Not to be a rabid conspiracy theorist but the NHL's alleged offer of an extra $100 million to the PA if they agree on a CBA by January 5th that would ensure a 50-plus game season seems like another attempt to paint devil horns on Donald Fehr when this inevitably falls through. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- With the NHL still insistent on dropping its salary cap ceiling to $60 million in 2013-14, could Ryane Clowe be a goner in San Jose? [CSN Bay Area]
- One rumor swirling is that the NHL will expand its playoff system to include four additional wild card teams. Tyler Dellow doesn't think this is a terrible idea. [mc79hockey]
Fear the Fin would not be possible without your support. The goal is to keep this free and open fan community that we can nurture and grow. To do that we need your support.
Please consider donating to Fear the Fin through our GoFundMe page, buying our merchandise through our Etsy Shop. You can also support one of our sponsors and affiliates. Everything helps!
And remember to follow us on Twitter @fearthefin or on Facebook (Fear the Fin on Facebook) for all the latest updates.