Monday Sharks Links: Mike Babcock to visit San Jose this week
Your daily assortment of links to news and analysis from around the hockey world.
- Detroit Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock is expected to visit San Jose either today or tomorrow to discuss the Sharks' opening. Babcock's final decision will likely come down by the middle of the week. [Mercury News]
- San Jose is one of four teams, alongside the Leafs, Sabres and Blues, to have formally asked for Detroit's permission to interview Babcock. Babcock's standing offer to return to the Red Wings is a four-year deal worth $3.25 million a season. [Michigan Live]
- On his weekly Insider Trading segment, Darren Dreger reports the Sharks are interested in arranging a second interview with ex-Devils bench boss Peter DeBoer. Dan Bylsma, Dave Lowry and (sigh) Randy Carlyle are also in the mix. [TSN]
- Brent Burns and Todd McLellan took home gold medals after Team Canada's 6-1 win over Russia in the World Championship final yesterday. Ben Smith won bronze with Team USA. [IIHF]
- Burns was named the tournament's best defenseman. [Twitter]
- Anaheim defeated Chicago 4-1 in Game 1 of the Western Conference Final. [Anaheim Calling]/