Off The Post: October 5th
San Jose @ Anaheim, October 3rd
- Conico is going in for some light surgery tomorrow and will be on the shelf for the next two days. Get well soon bud, and the best of luck.
- Congratulations to Benn Ferriero for his first NHL goal, as well as Frazer McLaren and Jason Demers for their first NHL point. The last time three players did this was October 4, 2007, when Daniel Winnick, Martin Hanzal, and Craig Weller accomplished the feat for Phoenix.
- Speaking of Phoenix, Paul Waldie from The Globe and Mail has a nice piece on where Balsillie went wrong in his attempt to purchase the team.
- The Penguins raise their Stanley Cup banner. Conspiracy theorists claim to have seen Gary Bettman pulling the strings from the rafters during the ceremony.
- Down Goes Brown previews the Pacific division.
- Greg Wyshynski of Puck Daddy breaks down the wonderful recreation of Herb Brooks speech before the 1980 semi-finals game against the Soviets- this time, instead of Kurt Russell, it's four year old Josh Sacco.
- idunno723 brings back Dropping the Gloves for it's sophomore season, breaking down the Shelley-Koci scrap. Look for an Anaheim installment in the Fanposts later this week.
Ah, Philly. Postgame fan fights, an unconfirmed knifing... what's not to love? Don't answer that.
Fresh off last year's tear-wrencher of a playoff tribute, CBC's Hockey Night In Canada does it again with a new installment for this season ("cut the chord"). Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly enjoy Randy and Drew, but there's not a better broadcast crew around than the ladies and gentleman up at CBC.
Drew Remenda kicks off a new feature entitled "Drew's Memory Lane" on sjsharks.com, with an installment featuring a story about Igor Larianov.
I've been sitting on this for awhile, but never found a story that I could slide it into. I've seen this jersey at The Tank a couple times but never snapped a picture of it- from earlier this year at Teal & White:
The umlauts are a nice touch.