Deep Blue Sea: Canadiens fire Marc Bergevin
Plus Evander Kane on waivers, Brendan Lemieux to have a hearing and more on today’s news and notes.
Yesterday, the Montreal Canadiens announced that they have fired general manager Marc Bergevin, just months after making the Stanley Cup Final.
Along with this, the club also said that they have relieved assistant general manager Trevor Timmins, and Paul Wilson, Senior Vice President of Affairs and Communications, of their duties following the team's 6-15-2 start to the season.
This news isn’t entirely out of nowhere, as Bergevin was in the final year of his contract, and with the team out of the playoff picture, it only made sense. He has been the team’s general manager since the spring of 2012. Bergevin previously said he would see out the remainder of the final season of his contract, however after one of the team’s worst starts in history, the front office decided a change was needed.
“Thanks to everyone who, in one way or another, has helped make this dream come true. Thanks to Geoff for his dedication, support, and trust throughout this journey. [...] It is with my head high and unforgettable memories that I am leaving my role as General Manager of the Montreal Canadiens,” said Bergevin in a release. “I wish this organization and my successor all the best for the future.”
Some potential candidates for the new general manager role include Mathieu Darche, Martin Madden Jr., Daniel Briere, and Roberto Luongo. The organization has made it clear that they prefer to hire a French-speaking replacement.
In another move, Jeff Gorton has been hired to be the team’s new Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations. Gorton was the general manager of the New York Rangers from 2015-2021 before being fired in May.
News & Notes
- Evander Kane heads to the AHL Barracuda, but future with Sharks seems unlikely [The Athletic]
- NHL Stat Corner: Avalanche, Sharks, Flames, Lightning & Oilers [The Hockey Writers]
- 3 things Sharks fans should be thankful for [The Hockey Writers]/
Blood in the Water
- Montreal Canadiens fire Marc Bergevin, Trevor Timmins, hire Jeff Gorton [Habs EOTP]
- Marc Bergevin’s future in the Canadiens organization is no longer up to him [Habs EOTP]
- Senators goaltender Matt Murray clears waivers, assigned to AHL [Sportsnet]
- Jonathan Huberdeau gets up close and personal with Miami Dolphins [Florida Hockey Now]
- Jankowski signs one-year, $750,000 contract with the Sabres [NHL.com]
- Lemieux to have NHL player safety hearing for actions in Kings game [NHL.com]
- Logan Shaw placed on waivers [Pro Hockey Rumors]/
Scores & Recaps
- Washington Capitals 4, Carolina Hurricanes 2
- Tampa Bay Lightning 2, Minnesota Wild 4
- Philadelphia Flyers 2, New Jersey Devils 5
- San Jose Sharks 2, Chicago Blackhawks 0
- Vancouver Canucks 2, Boston Bruins 3
- Toronto Maple Leafs 5, Anaheim Ducks 1/
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Seattle Kraken at Buffalo Sabres, 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on MSG-B, ROOT SNW, ESPN+
- Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens, 4:30 p.m. PT/7:30 p.m. ET on SN, SNE, SNO, SNP, RDS, ESPN+
- Arizona Coyotes at Winnipeg Jets, 4:30 p.m. PT/7:30 p.m. ET on SNW, BSAZ, ESPN+
- Pittsburgh Penguins at Calgary Flames, 6 p.m. PT/9 p.m. ET on SN1, TVAS, SNPT, ESPN+/