Deep Blue Sea: Joel Kellman placed on waivers
Plus Marleau vs. DoorDash, Jimmy Howard retires and more in today’s news and notes.
The San Jose Sharks have placed center Joel Kellman on waivers this morning.
The 26-year-old played in the Sharks’ opening day game win against the Arizona Coyotes, but was a healthy scratch in yesterday afternoon’s loss. He logged 12 minutes of ice time on the team’s fourth line, putting up on shot on goal, one penalty, one blocked shot and a 50 percent success rate in the faceoff circle.
Kellman earned a two-year contract in August and carries a $750,000 cap hit. If he clears and is reassigned to the minors, his salary drops from $700,000 to $300,000. He played 25 games with the San Jose Barracuda last season, putting up four goals and 12 assists.
News & Notes
- Marleau shares funny DoorDash experience at Sharks’ hotel [NBC Sports Bay Area]
- Sharks takeaways: Split series with Coyotes could be sign of what’s to come [The Mercury News]
- How training helped Marleau take aim at Gordie Howe’s record [NBC Sports Bay Area]/
Blood in the Water
- AHL’s dire financial situation leaves players ‘begging’ for help [New York Post] (Editor’s Note: I hate linking out to the Post, and I don’t think this is particularly great coverage of it, however, other outlets haven’t picked up this story yet and I do think the issues raised are important.)
- Report: Jimmy Howard expected to retire after 14 NHL seasons [TheScore]
- NHL fines Jared McCann for elbowing [Pensburgh]
- ‘No regrets’: Adam McQuaid officially announces retirement from NHL [CBC]
- Lightning, other NHL teams, must be prepared for breaks in play [Tampa Bay Times]
- NHL Rumors: Oilers, Panthers, Maple Leafs, Jets, More [The Hockey Writers]/
Scores & Recaps
- Boston Bruins 1, New Jersey Devils 2 (OT)
- San Jose Sharks 3, Arizona Coyotes 5
- New York Islanders 0, New York Rangers 5
- Montreal Canadiens 5, Edmonton Oilers 1
- Carolina Hurricanes 2, Detroit Red Wings 4
- Toronto Maple Leafs 3, Ottawa Senators 2
- Columbus Blue Jackets 2, Nashville Predators 5
- Minnesota Wild 4, Los Angeles Kings 3 (OT)
- Anaheim Ducks 1, Vegas Golden Knights, 2 (OT)
- Vancouver Canucks 0, Calgary Flames 3/
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins, 9 a.m. PT/12 p.m. ET on NBC, SN
- Chicago Blackhawks at Florida Panthers, 4 PT/7 ET on NHLN, SN, TVAS, FS-F, NBCSCH/