Deep Blue Sea: Golden Knights unexpectedly booted from San Jose hotel
Plus the most powerful women in hockey, an all-women production on NHL Network and more in today’s news and notes.
As the coronavirus pandemic reaches its one-year anniversary, the Vegas Golden Knights were once again confronted with how the virus has touched every aspect of our lives. Ahead of Friday’s 5-4 overtime win over the San Jose Sharks, the team was told to pack up their hotel rooms, as the hotel would no longer be open when they returned.
The Fairmont Hotel — an approved hotel for all traveling teams to stay at, per the NHL’s COVID-19 policy — has been hit hard by the pandemic, and over the course of the Golden Knights’ stay, eventually declared bankruptcy.
The Golden Knights received the news that the hotel would be ceasing operations during their pregame meal on Friday. The team then packed their bags as they would if they were leaving San Jose immediately postgame and checked in to a new hotel following the overtime win. They had to face the Sharks again the next day, where they managed to pull out a 4-0 win.
Read quotes from head coach Pete DeBoer about the experience, linked below.
News & Notes
- Golden Knights evicted from team hotel in San Jose on Friday [Review Journal]
- Golden Knights overcame Fairmont Hotel eviction to sweep Sharks [The Mercury News]
- Sharks’ Issues Exposed in Golden Knights Series [The Hockey Writers]
- As another NHL coach is fired, Bob Boughner’s job appears safe. Here’s why [The Mercury News]
- San Jose Sharks winger added to NHL’s COVID-19 list [The Mercury News]/
Blood in the Water
- The 25 Most Powerful Women in Hockey [Sportsnet]
- Be Bold [The Player’s Tribune]
- Behind the NHL Network’s all-woman production: Roundtable with Jamie Hersch, Lauren Gardner and Jackie Redmond [The Athletic]
- Women’s hockey: Gophers shocked to be left out of NCAA field [Grand Forks Herald]
- Lamoureux twins see ‘door is opening’ for women in hockey [NHL.com]
- Why Does the NHL Keep Enabling Tom Wilson? [Sports Illustrated]
- The NHL finally got it right and hit Tom Wilson with another heavy suspension [USA Today]
- The NHL’s best and worst this week: What players have learned during the COVID-19 pandemic [ESPN]
- Mark Pavelich, member of ‘Miracle on Ice’ Olympic hockey team, found dead [ESPN]
- Former NHL Player Rips Team USA Following Tragic News [The Spun]
- Report: US-based NHL players starting to receive COVID-19 vaccine [Yahoo! Sports]/
Scores & Recaps
- Buffalo Sabres 2, New York Islanders 5
- Tampa Bay Lightning 6, Chicago Blackhawks 3
- Florida Panthers 2, Carolina Hurricanes 4
- New Jersey Devils 1, Boston Bruins 0
- Washington Capitals 3, Philadelphia Flyers 1
- New York Rangers 1, Pittsburgh Penguins 5
- Nashville Predators 4, Dallas Stars 3 (SO)
- Ottawa Senators 4, Calgary Flames 3 (SO)/
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Vegas Golden Knights at Minnesota Wild, 5 PT/8 ET on NHLN, SN1, SNE, SNO, FS-N, FS-WI, ATTSN-RM
- Ottawa Senators at Edmonton Oilers, 6 PT/9 ET on ESPN+, SNW, TSN5, RDS2
- Arizona Coyotes at Colorado Avalanche, 6 PT/9 ET on ESPN+, ALT, FS-A
- St. Louis Blues at San Jose Sharks, 6 PT/9 ET on NBCSCA, FS-MW
- Los Angeles Kings at Anaheim Ducks, 7 PT/10 ET on PRIME, FS-SD, FS-W
- Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks, 7 PT/10 ET on SNP, TSN2, RDS/