Deep Blue Sea: The most perfect start
Plus Adin Hill’s success in net, a prospect viewing guide and more in today’s news and notes.
The league is now between four and six games into the season (the Boston Bruins are the lone outlier to have only played three games so far), and only six teams remain undefeated. The Florida Panthers (5-0-0), Carolina Hurricanes (4-0-0), Minnesota Wild (4-0-0), St. Louis Blues (4-0-0), Edmonton Oilers (5-0-0) and San Jose Sharks (4-0-0) are all holding out to see who among them can have the most perfect start to their season.
Two of those teams, the Sharks and Wild, will be playing today, hoping to maintain the streak. Florida, Carolina and St. Louis will all play on Monday. The Oilers will not play again until Wednesday.
Who do we think will be the next team to get knocked off the list? Let me know in the comments.
News & Notes
- Remarkable stats highlight Sharks’ 4-0-0 start to season [NBC Sports Bay Area]
- Adin Hill Has Risen to the Occasion So Far for San Jose [The Hockey News]
- Five reasons why Bob Boughner’s Sharks are off to a perfect start [The Mercury News]/
Deep Blue Sea
- Carolina Hurricanes create website to troll Montreal Canadiens, only to have it hacked [ESPN]
- The hockey team that wants to save the planet [Yahoo! Sports]
- The 2021-22 NHL prospects viewing guide: Where and who to watch in every league and country [The Athletic]
- NHL notebook: Women refs could make their way to NHL via American Hockey League [The Seattle Times]
- How NHL power-play formations have changed over the years [Boston Globe]
- Fantasy Hockey Roundup: It’s Still Funky in the NHL [The Hockey News]
- SB Nation Reacts: Most NHL Fans Don’t See The Kraken As A Playoff Team [Nucks Misconduct]
- The History of Hockey in Seattle [The Hockey News]
- U.S. WOMEN’S HOCKEY FALLS TO CANADA IN FIRST TUNEUP GAME AHEAD OF WINTER OLYMPICS [Team USA]
- USA Hockey announces 2022 U18 Worlds roster [The Ice Garden]/
Scores & Recaps
- New York Rangers 3, Ottawa Senators 2
- Calgary Flames 4, Washington Capitals 3 (OT)
- Anaheim Ducks 3, Minnesota Wild 4 (OT)
- Buffalo Sabres 1, New Jersey Devils 2 (OT)
- Detroit Red Wings 1, Montreal Canadiens 6
- Toronto Maple Leafs 1, Pittsburgh Penguins 7
- Colorado Avalanche 4, Tampa Bay Lightning 3 (SO)
- Florida Panthers 4, Philadelphia Flyers 2
- Carolina Hurricanes 5, Columbus Blue Jackets 1
- Nashville Predators 4, Winnipeg Jets 6
- Los Angeles Kings 3, St. Louis Blues 7
- New York Islanders 3, Arizona Coyotes 0
- Vancouver Canucks 4, Seattle Kraken 2/
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- San Jose Sharks at Boston Bruins, 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET on SN1, NESN, NBCSCA, ESPN+
- Nashville Predators at Minnesota Wild, 3 p.m. PT/6 p.m. ET on BSN, BSWI, BSSO, ESPN+
- Detroit Red Wings at Chicago Blackhawks, 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on NHLN, SN1, NBCSCH, BSDET
- New York Islanders at Vegas Golden Knights, 7 p.m. PT/10 p.m. ET on NHLN, SN1, ATTSN-RM, MSG+/