Deep Blue Sea: Don’t forget to rank Top 25 Sharks Under 25!
Plus more reminiscing from Joe Thornton, prospects to watch in the Olympics and more in today’s news and notes.
We’ve still got plenty of reading material for you below in today’s Deep Blue Sea, but with such a tight turn around on this year’s Top 25 Sharks Under 25 series, we’re going to take this space as a reminder to vote.
Voting this year will be done through Survey Monkey.
Here are some basic guidelines as you vote:
- The survey will technically let you rank all 48 players, but nothing after 25 will be counted OR contribute to a player’s overall rank.
- Users are asked to submit only one ballot. We reserve the right to remove ballots that are incomplete, spam or otherwise determined to be a joke.
- Remember: No. 1 is the best player ranking. We will reveal the series in reverse order, starting with No. 25.
- Ballots are due by noon PT on Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2022.
- Once again, that link to vote is here./
For more information about the process, as well as links to biographies for all eligible prospects, click the link below:
Top 25 Under 25: Rank the 2021 edition
Now onto the new and notes.
News & Notes
- Sharks defenseman hurt in first period vs. Florida Panthers [The Mercury News]
- Mario Ferraro’s scary injury evokes memories of Logan Couture’s own painful ordeal [The Mercury News]
- Sharks lose fast-paced game to Panthers in OT, lose defenseman to injury [The Mercury News]
- Joe Thornton Q & A: On the Sharks, his role in Florida, Evander Kane and scoring four goals [The Mercury News]
- Thornton felt no nerves playing against Sharks (VIDEO) [NBC Sports Bay Area]
- 2 Reasons Why Sharks Got 1 Point, 1 Reason Why They Didn’t Get 2 [San Jose Hockey Now]
- Breaking down the NHL’s best and worst first lines this season [The Athletic]/
Blood in the Water
- NHL Rumors: Boston Bruins, Anaheim Ducks, and the Ottawa Senators [NHL Rumors]
- Zdeno Chara won’t participate in hardest shot at All-Star skills competition [Sportsnet]
- Former Canucks forward Jake Virtanen charged with sexual assault [Yahoo! Sports]
- Inside the NHL: Canucks’ choice of Castonguay resonates to her days at Niagara [The Buffalo News]
- 8 NHL Prospects to Watch at the 2022 Winter Olympics [Bleacher Report]
- Why EA Sports NHL decided to add women’s players to NHL 22: ‘Seeing it to be it’ [The Athletic]
- Law firm investigates Michigan hockey over allegations of COVID deception, toxic environment [MLive]
- Burnside: Ethan Bear’s Story [NHL.com]
- Almost 30 Years After Breaking the Ice, Manon Rhéaume Looks at What’s Next for Women’s Hockey [Sports Illustrated]/
Scores & Recaps
- Anaheim Ducks 2, Ottawa Senators 1
- Los Angeles Kings 3, Philadelphia Flyers 4 (OT)
- Winnipeg Jets 4, St. Louis Blues 1
- San Jose Sharks 4, Florida Panthers 5 (OT)
- Edmonton Oilers 7, Montreal Canadiens 2
- Toronto Maple Leafs 7, Detroit Red Wings 4
- Vegas Golden Knights 3, Tampa Bay Lightning 2 (SO)
- New Jersey Devils 1, Carolina Hurricanes 2
- Buffalo Sabres 3, Arizona Coyotes 1
- Vancouver Canucks 0, Calgary Flames 1 (OT)/
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Seattle Kraken at New York Rangers, 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET on NHLN, TVAS, MSG, ROOT-NW
- Los Angeles Kings at Pittsburgh Penguins, 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET on SN1, ATTSN-PT, BSW, ESPN+
- San Jose Sharks at Carolina Hurricanes, 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET on BSSO, NBCSCA, ESPN+
- Columbus Blue Jackets at Montreal Canadiens, 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on SN1, BSSW+, NESN, ESPN+
- Boston Bruins at Dallas Stars, 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET on TSN2, RDS, BSOH, ESPN+
- Minnesota Wild at New York Islanders, 4:30 p.m. PT/7:30 p.m. ET on MSG+, BSN+, BSWI+, ESPN+
- Buffalo Sabres at Colorado Avalanche, 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET on ALT2, MSG-B, ESPN+/