Sharks fall in overtime to IceCaps after controversial call

Taylor Doherty and Travis Oleksuk scored their first career professional goals, Harri Sateri stopped 29-of-32 shots and Yanni Gourde had his game winning goal with 64 seconds left in the third period waived off due to referee Darcy Burchell losing sight of the puck as the Worcester Sharks fell 3-2 in overtime to the St. John's IceCaps Saturday night at the DCU Center.

The IceCaps jumped out to an early 1-0 lead at 9:10 of the first period when Maxime Macenauer snapped a 140 minute scoreless streak for the IceCaps by burying home a loose puck at the side of the net for his third goal of the season.

Doherty tied the game at 5:14 of the second period with a wrist shot from on top of the right face-off circle that beat IceCaps goalie Mark Dekanich blocker side. James Sheppard and Sebastian Stalberg were credited with the assists on the goal, which came in Doherty's 67th career professional game.

Oleksuk gave the Sharks a 2-1 lead at 8:36 when his centering feed from the right side deflected off an IceCaps skate and into the net. Doherty and James Livingston were credited with the assists on the goal, which was set-up by Oleksuk rushing down the right side and getting around two IceCaps defenders with a slick dispy-do move.

The IceCaps tied the game with six seconds left in the period when John Albert backhanded a shot past Sateri from on top of the crease for his second goal of the season after the wraparound attempt from his linemate Raymond Sawada came loose in front.

With 64-seconds remaining in the third period, Gourde put the Sharks up 3-2 when he swept a loose puck into the net on the right side after a shot from the point by Sharks defenseman Matt Irwin was blocked in front. However, the celebration was short lived as referee Burchell waived off the goal due to losing sight of the puck and had blown his whistle before the puck crossed the goal line.

In the closing moments of overtime, the IceCaps hemmed the Sharks in their own zone and defenseman Paul Postma ripped a shot from on top of the face-off circles that beat Sateri over the shoulder with just 11.9-seconds remaining for the game winning goal.

NOTES: Shots were 32-18 in favor of the IceCaps... The Sharks went 0-for-3 on the power play and 4-for-4 on the penalty kill... The IceCaps are now 5-0-0-0 at the DCU Center... This was the first of four meetings between the teams... Brodie Reid (inj), Frazer McLaren (inj), Mikael Tam (inj), Jimmy Bonneau (scr), Marek Viedensky (scr), Daniil Tarasov (scr) and Matt Pelech (susp) did not dress for the Sharks... The Sharks are now 3-4-1-1 overall.

Three Stars
1. Taylor Doherty - Sharks (1-1-2)
2. Paul Postma - IceCaps (1-0-1)
3. John Albert - IceCaps (1-1-2)