Thursday Sharks Links: Brent Burns wins NHL Foundation Player Award
Plus Couture and Marleau garner Lady Byng consideration, Gary Bettman sets league expansion in motion and the goalie trade market is expected to heat up.
- Brent Burns won the NHL Foundation Player Award at last night's NHL Awards ceremony in Las Vegas, taking home $25,000 he's chosen to donate evenly between military family charities Defending The Blue Line and Folds of Honor. [NHL.com]
- Burns also picked up one fourth-place vote for the Norris Trophy, which was awarded to Senators blueliner Erik Karlsson. [Puck Daddy]
- Logan Couture finished 8th and Patrick Marleau finished 18th in Lady Byng voting. [Jewels From The Crown]
- Gary Bettman is set to announce the formal opening of an expansion process, with Las Vegas, Seattle, Quebec City, Toronto, Milwaukee, Portland and other cities across North America expected to bid for expansion franchises. [Sportsnet]
- Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray, peddling two goalies of his own, believes the goaltender trade market will move in a hurry once the first domino falls, something he expects will happen this week. [ESPN]
- Calgary has begun negotiations on a contract extension with Mark Giordano. Their captain and top defenseman is reportedly looking for a deal in the $9 million/year range. He'll reach unrestricted free agent status next summer. [TSN]/