What A Concept -- Keeping The Team Enforcer On The Team!
Los Tiburones have re-signed Jody Shelley to a two year deal, thus removing his name from the unrestricted free agent pool and making sure everyone else in the NHL stays honest against the Sharks. Shelley didn't drop his gloves all that often last year after being acquired, but also wasn't challenged very often. He played a passable fourth line left wing when called upon to do so, which was a nice bonus. Glad he's staying around. I suspect we'll be seeing lots more #45 jerseys at the Tank this coming season.
So, let us review...
- Jeremy Roenick is re-signed. Here's hoping he has one more season left in the tank for the Tank.
- Brian Boucher is re-signed, which solidifies the backup goalie position. Wonder how much ice time he'll see this coming season. Of course he'll want to, but is it wise to allow Evgeni Nabokov to do a second straight year of making "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath his theme song?
- Joe Pavelski is re-signed. Last year showed he has both skill and grit, especially in the post-season. Don't know if he'll ever be a superstar, but definitely a player of value.
- Christian Ehrhoff, who's a restricted free agent, has a qualifying offer. Here's hoping it comes with instructions on how to properly clear the puck out of your own zone.
- Marcel Goc, who's also a restricted free agent, has a qualifying offer. Eh. He has his moments.
- Ryane Clowe, who also is a restricted free agent, has a qualifying offer. No way should he be allowed to leave San Jose. A big physical left wing with skill and a mean streak? You build lines around players like that./
Back to waiting for the clock to strike midnight (correction: 9:00 A.M. Tuesday local time) back east and see what happens in UFA (and for that matter RFA) land.