Deep Blue Sea: A re-introduction
Everything’s as if we never said goodbye.
It feels fitting that not long after Joe Pavelski returned to San Jose for the first time in a different sweater, I’m making my own re-introduction here.
Of course, I never really left, but if you’ve stuck around the site, you’ve certainly noticed that since the announcement from SB Nation that the California Communities would be changing in the new year, things have been a little quiet around here, as the site was left in a bit of limbo. There was still a job to do, but the direction was suddenly lost and the future seemed uncertain.
We’ll limbo no more. I have been hired full-time as a Community Manager for the California NHL Team Brands and that means I’m here to serve you, the community of Sharks fans at Fear the Fin.
Getting things started this week, we’ll be rolling Deep Blue Sea out of its hideaway and back to the front page, giving you daily news and notes from around the league and about the Sharks, as well as the previous night’s scores and recaps. You can chat with me in the comments about anything on these posts, whether that’s one of these stories or what I can do to help the community here at Fear the Fin.
Let’s get started, yeah?
News & Notes
- Speaking of Joe Pavelski returning to the tank, let’s start today off with a good cry:/
- Among those of us watching the Pavs’ return was none other than former Shark Joel Ward, who had this to say about the night:/
Deller 👊🏾— Joel Ward (@JRandalWard42) January 12, 2020
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in memorable 2-1 win over Stars [NBC Sports]
- Joe Pavelski on tribute, reception: “It was just a tremendous night, they did it right” [The Mercury News]
- Sharks’ Patrick Marleau defies laws of time, has Gordie Howe in sights [NBC Sports]
- Aaron Dell providing the foundation as Sharks showing some signs of life [The Athletic]
- Sharks’ Tomas Hertl on NHL All-Star nod: “I will be enjoying every moment” [The Mercury News]
- Facts and Figures: Marleau, Thornton reach milestones for Sharks [NHL.com]
- And finally, Christina Marleau is perhaps unintentionally over-sharing about her husband’s um ... stamina? Just kidding, but I am glad I get to follow her again without having to read about the Leafs./
I often question my sanity to have children with this man. The energy he has is genetic...and it makes the energizer bunny look lazy. Either way, he still amazes me. https://t.co/MJYRWswMe9— Christina Marleau (@c_marleau) January 12, 2020
Blood in the Water Around the League
- Ray Shero Is No Longer Devils GM After He and the Team “Agreed To Part Ways” [All About The Jersey]
- Sources: Women’s 3-on-3 set for All-Star Weekend [ESPN]
- Bold second-half predictions for all 31 NHL teams [ESPN]
- Midseason grades for all 31 NHL teams [ESPN]
- The Wysh List: The 15 most shocking events of the NHL’s first half [ESPN]
- It’s happening! Sidney Crosby practices with team, takes line rushes [Pensburgh]
- NHL getting in their own way punishing Zack Kassian for Matthew Tkachuk beatdown [Yahoo! Sports]
- Top 10 Plays of 2020 WJC VIDEO [NHL Network]
- NHL Numbers: The Good, The Bad, And The Unlikely [The Hockey News]
- NHL Black Hockey History Tour Returns [NHL.com]/
Scores & Recaps
- Nashville Predators 1, Winnipeg Jets 0 [On The Forecheck recap, Arctic Ice Hockey]
- Vancouver Canucks 4, Minnesota Wild 1 [Nucks Misconduct recap, Hockey Wilderness recap]
- Buffalo Sabres 5, Detroit Red Wings 1 [Die By The Blade recap, Winging It In Motown recap]
- Pittsburgh Penguins 4, Arizona Coyotes 3 (SO) [Pensburgh recap, Five For Howling]
- Toronto Maple Leafs 4, Florida Panthers 8 [Pension Plan Puppets recap, Litter Box Cats]
- Tampa Bay Lightning 1, New Jersey Devils 3 [Raw Charge recap, All About The Jersey recap]/
On the Schedule
It’s an off day for the Sharks and a light one on the NHL schedule, with four games starting at 7 p.m. Eastern/4 p.m. Pacific, followed by the Ducks visiting the Blues just an hour behind the others. I’d probably start the night off with Canes versus Caps or Bruins at Flyers, before catching the end of Ducks versus Blues.
Here’s the full league schedule for the evening:
- Calgary Flames at Montreal Canadiens, 7 EST/4 PST on TSN2, RDS, SNW
- New York Islanders at New York Rangers, 7 EST/4 PST on MSG, MSG+, ESPN+
- Boston Bruins at Philadelphia Flyers, 7 EST/4 PST on NHLN, SNE, SNO, SNP, TVAS, NBCSP, NESN
- Carolina Hurricanes at Washington Capitals, 7 EST/4 PST on NBCSWA, FS-CR, ESPN+
- Anaheim Ducks at St. Louis Blues, 8 EST/5 PST on PRIME, FS-MW/
What’re you watching tonight? Come back to chat during the game!