Deep Blue Sea: Spott to Vegas
The former assistant bench boss reunites with Pete DeBoer.
Sometimes new adventures are easier with a familiar face to lend a helping hand — at least that’s probably what the Vegas Golden Knights’ front office is hoping after hiring Steve Spott as an assistant coach to their newest head coach, Pete DeBoer. The two had previously worked as a coaching tandem for four years with the San Jose Sharks.
Since joining the Golden Knights, DeBoer has seen the sometime fringe-playoffs team drop in expected goals share leading into the All-Star Break, but maybe it’s just the new job jitters? Certainly couldn’t have anything to do with his coaching style — which is why his right-hand man in Spott is so clearly needed behind the Knights’ bench.
In fairness, Spott was very good in the last few years with the Sharks’ special teams, and if those improve under him in Vegas, that’s a pretty frightening prospect.
Read more about the Sharks’ former coaching staff, plus news and notes from around the league, below:
News & Notes
- Golden Knights hire Steve Spott as assistant coach [Sportsnet]
- Pressure, unjustly, lies on Peter DeBoer to lead Golden Knights to playoffs and beyond [Knights On Ice]
- Why Patrick Marleau’s goal song didn’t play in Sharks’ win over Ducks [NBC Sports]
- Why Sharks’ Tomas Hertl wasn’t even 2020 NHL All-Star Game MVP finalist [Yahoo! Sports]
- Thornton, Marleau say they’re not thinking about possibility of being traded, playing elsewhere [The Mercury News]
- Would Sharks really consider trading Joe Thornton or Patrick Marleau? [NBC Sports]
- San Jose Sharks Should Be Among Sellers Before NHL Trade Deadline [Forbes]
- Report: Bruins, Hurricanes interested in Sharks’ Dillon [TheScore]/
Blood in the Water
- ‘I want to cherish every moment’: Why Brock Boeser put family first during the Canucks’ bye week [The Athletic]
- Color of Hockey: Canada Post stamp celebrates Black History Month [NHL.com]
- A detailed history of Claude Giroux’s love for grilled cheese sandwiches. You’re welcome, world. [Russian Machine Never Breaks]
- Elite League defenseman Zach Sullivan comes out as bisexual ahead of Manchester Storm Pride game [Russian Machine Never Breaks]
- WWE star Xavier Woods on surreal NHL All-Star experience, bar arcades, and wrestling/hockey crossover [ESPN]
- A glimpse at European hockey development: Can Sweden, Finland, Russia keep pace with North America? [ESPN]
- Black Hockey Players Celebrated In NHL’s Mobile History Museum [NPR]
- Former NHL goalie arrested in Bowling Green [WNKY]
- Mock expansion draft: What Seattle’s NHL team might look like and which player each team could lose [The Athletic]
- Six ‘Swing Teams’ Who Could Shape the 2020 NHL Trade Deadline [Sports Illustrated]/
Recaps & Scores
- Ottawa Senators 5, Buffalo Sabres 2
- St. Louis Blues 5, Calgary Flames 4 (SO)/
Click each team’s name to find a recap on their own SB Nation team site!
On the Schedule
- Nashville Predators at Washington Capitals, 4:30 PT/7:30 ET on NBCSN
- Toronto Maple Leafs at Dallas Stars, 4:30 PT/7:30 ET on SN, TVAS, FS-SW
- Calgary Flames at Edmonton Oilers, 7 PT/10 ET on SN360, SNE, SNO, SNW, TVAS
- Arizona Coyotes at Anaheim Ducks, 7 PT/10 ET on PRIME, FS-A, FS-A PLUS
- Tampa Bay Lightning at Los Angeles Kings, 7 PT/10 ET on NBCSN
- Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks, 7:30 PT/10:30 ET on ESPN+, NBCSCA, SNP/